"National Slavery"?

Hi ppl... I know, it's been a while since I last posted something. Must have been four weeks? OK, I'll try to be more prolific, I promise.

Alright, you might wonder what's with the title... Well, I was on a bus ride home after a photo shoot at CMPB today. (No, I am not modelling haha... perhaps maybe until I achieve something admirable in my gym routine?) The photo session was to commemorate the service of those who gave up 2 precious years to serve the nation...(for my case, I literally 'served' in the service line).

For many, 2 years is indeed a heavy price to pay to keep our pink IC - my sentiments too. A friend even coined the term "National Slavery" for NS. I think I consider myself more fortunate then some. My vocation as a medic has exposed me a wealth of knowledge that I wouldn't have otherwise. In the little radiological department housed in CMPB, I got to learn the invaluable skills of taking X-rays and reading them; I've befriend many from varied backgrounds and visited their world so alien to my own; It's like a first-hand experience of what a future workplace is like - with all its disgreements, politics, teamwork.

Hey, so you might ask - "What about being a man?" So medics aren't 'man' enough? Hmm, I do agree that the definition of manhood and masculinity doesn't seem complete with adrogenic qualities such bulging muscles, superhuman endurance. But that's just the physical aspect. Well, sitting in an office from eight-five isn't gonna build the 6-packs... you might realised that the combination of the 6 to form a bulge after a while. OK, my point is, it's the holistic development of one's character that counts. Qualities such honesty, leadership, team-spirit, responsibilty, patriotism and discipline can also be nurtured in a setting outside a battle training field.

For me, my NS experience didn't really stop at CMPB. I spent time going out with my colleagues, gave tuitions, went to the gym faithfully. I guess how you make use for personal development during the 2-year term decides how 'man' you can be.

No comments: